Cockroaches can survive the apocalypse is a common joke or observation. Though this isn’t entirely accurate, cockroaches are notoriously difficult to eradicate. Attempting to squish a cockroach under a shoe or spraying it with bug spray may not be effective.
Cockroaches: How to Keep Them Out of Your House
Preventing cockroaches from entering your home in the first place can help you avoid having to destroy them later. Here are some basic preventive methods to help keep cockroaches out of your home (they are also fantastic recommendations for keeping other pests out):
Make your house more secure.
Another strategy to keep cockroaches at bay is to keep your home’s perimeter secure. Although cockroaches can enter a breach as small as a few inches long, it’s important to seek for and conceal any entry places.
Seek expert assistance and advice in the following areas:
- Sealing cracks around the home’s exterior.
- Gaps under and around doors and windows, as well as where utility lines enter the house, should be filled.
- Drain lines and sewer vents are screened or sealed.
Clean on a regular basis.
A cockroach’s optimal hiding location is a cluttered dwelling, especially for the German cockroach. Follow these guidelines:
- Remove any newspaper, magazine, or paper stacks. Cockroaches love these as hiding spots and feeding sources.
- Vacuum on a regular basis to get rid of debris, dust, and crumbs.
- Garbage should be taken out on a daily basis, and outdoor containers should be kept away from your home’s access points.
- If you see huge cockroaches, clean unused or less-traveled locations including closets, attics, garages, utility rooms, and storage areas.
How do you get rid of cockroaches in your house?
Make an appointment with a professional. A SOS-Extermination® Pest Control Professional will conduct a thorough inspection to determine where cockroaches are hiding — and how they got there in the first place — and create a customized strategy for cockroach eradication and long-term prevention.
Cockroaches are tough adversaries, therefore hiring a pest control professional to get rid of them effectively and safely is always a good idea.