What is a solar panel?
Solar panels harness the power and energy of the sun. Solar panels convert sunlight into electricity by absorbing it. Photons, energy packets, travel approximately 93,000,000 miles between the sun’s rays and Earth. They travel approximately 8.5 minutes. Solar panels release photons from atoms, creating electricity. Photovoltaic refers to the conversion of sunlight into electricity. It is the basis of solar panel’s energy generation. Photovoltaic cells are small units that make up each solar panel. Semiconducting materials such as silicon are used to sandwich each cell.
Read Also: Solar Comparison
Solar power is the fuel of tomorrow. As per the report from International Energy Agency, solar power is the fastest growing power source in the world.
Solar panels offer many benefits
- Sources for clean, renewable energy
Solar energy is a renewable source of energy. Because it is powered from the sun, solar energy can be used anywhere in the world. Like fossil fuels, solar energy is 100 percent clean and non-toxic.
- Electricity bills may be reduced by spending money
Your electric bill can be reduced by using solar energy. You can get part of your electricity needs from solar energy, including lighting, heating, generators and lights. Your panels’ size can impact the amount of energy you can use. Sometimes, solar panels can produce more energy than you use. This surplus energy can be stored for the future.
- Installation is easy
The cost of solar panels has dropped dramatically in the past few years. Solar panels are more affordable than other renewable energy sources such as wind and hydro. Solar panels require complicated wiring and equipment. They are easy to install.
- Technological advances:
In the fields of solar power, and renewable energy, technological advancements have been made. The efficiency of solar panels has improved with each passing year through research and development.
Solar panels don’t have moving parts. Theycan be mounted on roofs and maintained for a few years. The warranty on solar panels is 25 years. They can also last for up to 30 year.
What’s a Poly solar panel?
MultiCrystalline (or Poly solar panel) is a type of solar panels that contains multiple silicon crystals within one PV cell. To create Poly solar panel, multiple pieces of silicon are mixed to make wafers. Allow the panel’s vat filled with molten silica, which was used to make them, to cool. These panels look almost like a mosaic. The panels are square-shaped, and the numerous silicon crystals within them give them a bright blue color. Poly solar panel is very stable due to the many silicon crystals in each cell. These panels absorb sunlight and convert it into electricity.
What’s the working principle for a Poly solar panel?
These panels contain multiple photovoltaic cells. Each cell is composed of silicon crystals which makes it a semiconductor device. The photons from the sun hit the PN junction. This junction is made up of N-type and P-type materials. It provides energy to electrons, allowing them to flow as an electrical current. N-type materials contain a lot of electrons while P-type materials don’t have any. Two electrodes are used to connect PV cells. The top electrode has small wires while the bottom electrode has a foil-like conductor.
Monocrystalline solar panels
Monocrystalline solar panels are the most advanced form of solar panels. They are also known as monocrystalline panels. Monocrystalline solar cells are made from cylindrical silicon ingots, which are then cut into silicon wafers. Because each cell is made from a single piece of silicon, these cells are more pure. This allows electrons flow more freely. Monocrystalline solar panels are usually black in colour.
- Solar rooftop systems are increasingly using monocrystalline solar panels. These panels can be used in large-scale residential, commercial or industrial installations.
- They can be used to charge batteries and cameras at a small scale (25W), depending on their size.
- A solar panel with a power output greater than 40W (or more), can power lights, refrigerators, microwaves and other solar power sources.
- Monocrystalline solar panels are most efficient.
- They take up less space and are more space-efficient then their counterparts.
- Monocrystalline solar panels last longer and are more durable than their warranties.
- They perform better in humid and hot conditions.
- These panels are made with the highest-quality silicon.
- Monocrystalline solar panels are more expensive than polycrystalline ones.
- It can cause a circuit to break if the panel is covered in dirt, snow, or other shade.
- Monocrystalline solar panels perform best in high temperatures.
Poly solar panels
Solar PV or Poly solar panelare more efficient than monocrystalline panels, but less expensive. You can make polycrystalline panels from multiple silicon crystals. They are not made from one silicon crystal. Instead, they are made from several silicon fragments. Because the cells are made of multiple crystals, electrons have less room to flow. The blue color of the poly solar panel is due to the blending multiple silicon layers.
- They are also available in a variety of power wattages so Poly solar panel can be used in both small-scale and large-scale installations.
- The poly solar panelsare cheaper and simpler to make. They can be used in large solar farms, as well as roof-mounted arrays. They can be used to power traffic lights, houses and other applications.
- The Solar PVis more affordable and require a simplified manufacturing process.
- The tolerance for heat is lower in poly solar panel
- These panels are made with less silicon.
- The efficiency of poly solar panel is lower at about 13-16%
- They are more space-intensive and therefore require more space.
- The poly solar panels are less pure and appear uniform.